Sunday, January 25, 2009

Ice B. on George Harrison and All Things


When All Things Must Pass first came out I, too, was blown away. The songs, lyrics and music were just all so good. Unlike the Beatles' White Album which had some good songs on it - but also some clunkers and some downright odd songs - George's All Things was a complete box set of wonderful and totally enjoyable music. The song "All Things Must Pass" is one of my ten favorites. As I grow older, it still makes me feel good and I smile at all the things that have happened since 1970.

When the Beatles broke up, there were all kinds of stories about how only John and Paul would continue to be successful. I remember listening to Ram by Paul. I traded it in for a Turtles album at Recycle Records in Foothill Farms. John's Plastic Ono Band was pretty good, but then they had Clapton and Voormann and they played some good blues and rock.

It was December 1970, during my senior year in high school. After getting the mid-month pay from my dishwasher job, I remember going to Tower Records on Watt Avenue in Sacramento. George's All Things was on display in the middle of the "B" isle, across from the Beatles bin. KZAP-FM had been playing All Things one side at a time. I picked up a copy, added it to my armful of records and headed to the front counter. (At that time Tower was the place to go at night and it was always packed. It was a destination place with a very eclectic and happy atmosphere.)

When I got home I remember opening up the boxed Harrison album. After I listened to all three records, I realized that this was one of the reasons the Beatles break-up was inevitable; they never would have given George such freedom on a Beatles album.

From then on, I became a big fan of George's albums. I own some of John's albums and Ringo's cassettes. For me, the best post-Beatles music consisted of the Harrison albums. I even liked the music and songs he contributed to the film "Time Bandits." And, of course, the Traveling Wilburys wouldn't have been the same without George. Ice B.

Notes: George Harrison was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame as an individual musician, as well as for being a member of Those Guys. Ice B. is an artist and social critic based in Sacramento, California.

No comments:

Post a Comment