Wednesday, December 10, 2008

So I'm sitting in Starbucks...


Cruising the web on my new Acer Aspire One wireless netbook and catching up on some reading. I'm a bit surprised to see an article in the Wall Street Journal (from a prior day) about Starbucks, "Starbucks Moves to Cut Costs, Retain Customers."

The WSJ article noted that the company, "... is changing tack after discovering that its most faithful customers are saving money in part by making fewer visits to the chain. New figures released by the company show that, instead of the bottoming out Starbucks predicted in October, the company's same-store sales have gotten worse. ... sales at U.S. stores open at least a year fell 9% in October and November from a year earlier."

I think the almost-free wireless service offered by Starbucks - not quite free because you have to buy and periodically reload a coffee card - is great. But I do have two small and humble suggestions for the company. First, start selling its Seattle's Best Brand brew, a wholly owned subsidiary, at Starbucks and not just - as is scheduled to occur soon - at 1,900 Subway Sandwich locations. Second, drop the awfully weak Pike Place Roast that tastes like the coffee once offered at McDonald's. I've heard several Starbucks customers say the coffee sold there is just not strong enough these days. The company should focus on dark blends like Verona (which I'm drinking as I type) and Sumatra to see if the old customers return.

Starbucks, go forth and BE BOLD!

No comments:

Post a Comment