Sunday, March 8, 2009

Domino: A Retro-Review of One of Van's Best Albums...


A lot of attention has been focused lately on Van Morrison's Astral Weeks album from 1968, which was followed by Moondance. Many of Van's fans would list one of these two releases as their favorite of his but my personal favorite is His Band and the Street Choir from 1970.

Here are some track by track notes on this album whose songs were arranged in perfect order...

Domino - A great rocker and album opener; Van with an 11-piece brass band. John Klinberg's fine bass work is clearer here than on later re-masters.

Crazy Face - A pre-Eagles Desperado-type song. "He stood outside the church yard gate/ And polished up on his .38 and said/ I got it from Jessie James."

Give Me A Kiss - A bouncy number that sounds like Elvis circa 1956. More sweet brass backing from the band.

I've Been Working - Van as a macho soul man. This has always been his best on-stage performance song, and there's just a touch of Tower of Power, War and the Doors in the break.

Call Me Up in Dreamland - Ragtime meets dixieland meets southern Belfast rock. The Band might have sounded like this if they'd been less heavy.

I'll Be Your Lover, Too - His then-wife Janet Planet explained this best: "I have seen Van open these parts of his secret self - his essential core of aloneness I had always feared could never be broken into - and say... yes, come in here... know me." A haunting love poem.

Blue Money - As much as I love Domino, Wild Night and Brown Eyed Girl, this has always been my all-time favorite Morrison single. (I still wonder if this is the song that inspired Steely Dan's Peg?) Every time a "Best of..." Van Morrison collection has been released, many complain because this song was not included. Janet Planet contributes the Linda McCartney-ish background vocal.

Virgo Clowns - A positive take on Jackson Browne's irony. "Now you know exactly who you want to be now. Let your laughter fill the room."

Gypsy Queen - Smooth as a slide across the ice... Van captures the spirit of Motown. Say it's alright. (Van himself said in 2007, "It's always been about soul.")

Sweet Janine - Back to the cradle, with a blues rocker featuring a B.B. King-style guitar lead. Elmore James has nothing on this.

If I Ever Needed Somone - Van's My Sweet Lord. "To keep me from my sorrow/ To lead me on to givingness/ So I can see a new tomorrow."

Street Choir - A great tribute to a long-lost love; one who will not be taken back. "Why did you leave... Why did you let me down/ And now that things seem better... Why do you come around/ You know that I can't see you now."

Like all of rock's best albums, from What's Going On to Graceland to The Rising, this one is life affirming. 89.5 out of 100 points.

No comments:

Post a Comment