Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Room for Lefty (a song-poem)...


What I don't remember is
Is there still room for Lefty
And for all his leathers?

We're in the ring again
We're well matched pound-for-pound
This could go to later rounds

Dancing round again
Can I just make it zing?
I throw my left, he's gone
Flash - he's pounded me, I'm down

I hear the number 7
I'm on my feet, I'm dizzy
I look out at the crowd
I've gone another round

What I don't remember is
Is there room for Lefty

We're dancing round again
When do I get my chance?
Flash - My left connects
His hands go to his head
The cut appears, it's red

In retreat he moves away
But I swore I'd make him pay
I'm on him like a cat
Flash - My brilliant undercut,
He's down!

At 8 he's up again
He's hiding in plain sight
Hoping for relief
But I'm ready, I've loaded up my right

The bell rings, saving him this time
My coach says, son - you're running out of time
This night it's do or die

Three minutes left,
We're moving round again
He grabs me in the clutch,
Can I just let it fly?

I throw my left it misses,
He never sees the right
Flash - he's down, he's done

They carried him away
I've lived another day
I just beat the best
I have another day

But what I want to know
Is what I don't remember...
Is there still room for Lefty?

No comments:

Post a Comment