Saturday, May 9, 2009

Circles: An Interview with Jenny Dalton (part two of two parts)...


We're continuing our interview with singer-songwriter Jenny Dalton...

A number of music's best artists have created their best work after things have gone wrong - or not quite right - in their lives. Is this how you work?

JD: It's not how I'd like to work, but it is true that I go to my keyboard as a refuge. I always have. It's the thing that always makes me feel better. I can write a song about whatever I'm going through, and then the ickiness doesn't follow me around anymore. But, I don't think it's essential to go through rocky times to create good feelings. I do think it's essential to treat creativity as a re-usable resource. You can definitely over-draw from it, so I do things that inspire me to fill up the reserves again.

I recently heard the song Circles and it seems like a different type of song for you, almost country-rock. Is there a story behind this and, if so, could you tell us about it?

JD: That's funny because I think that the genre labels can only start to be put on the songs when I "dress them up" in the recording process. In that song, there is sax, slide guitar, and vintage organ songs that contribute to that feel. I suppose the core of the song's meaning can find its roots in country blues. I wrote it because my boyfriend at that time had just been sent off to war, and I was miserable. Incurably miserable. The only thing I could do was just wallow in it. So that's what the song is about. It's kind of a dusty loner cowgirl kind of song.

If the Jenny of today could talk to the Jenny of 6 to 10 years ago, what would you tell her?

JD: Huh, I think I'd tell her "don't be afraid." I still think I have to tell myself that. Risks are so hard to take, and it seems much, much easier to take the safe and comfortable route. I was so unsure of myself and misled as to what I really wanted out of life. It's a dangerous spot. A person can really get locked into something that isn't right for them, and that almost happened to me. I was so afraid to rip myself away from it though. The right thing is almost never the easier thing.

If the Jenny of 10 to 15 years in the future could talk to you now, what do you think she would say?

JD: I like these questions! I'd ask, "do you have any regrets?" And then I'd probably say "don't be afraid" again. I thought about what would be on my bucket list of things to do before I die... I take it as a good sign that I don't really have anything to put on that list.

Again looking forward... Let's presume that you're being inducted into the Songwriter's Hall of Fame. Who would - all things being possible - give your induction-introduction speech?

JD: Oooh. All things being possible?? Maybe my cat Midnight who died a few years ago. I'd had her since I was 9 years old. She was my first fan and my only audience member for a long, long time.

Thank you, Jenny. As always, I remain a fan, a supporter and an admirer of your talent.

JD: Thank you! It's quite lovely to have your support.

http://www.jennydalton.com

No comments:

Post a Comment