Wednesday, April 29, 2009

If you're heading to Sacramento... (a nice place to stay)




A year ago, I experienced a non-sleeping night because of some mechanical problems at a Hilton Garden Inn (HGI) in southern California. Hilton made it up to me be sending me a Be My Guest certificate good for a free night's stay at any HGI. Because I recently had a lot of pressing work to do, and since it would cost too much money to fly or drive out of the area, I used the certificate at the Sacamento/South Natomas HGI. I highly recommend this property to anyone traveling to the Sacramento area.

The hotel provides a shuttle service to and from the Sacramento Intergalactic Spaceport, and guests are also driven to nearby shopping and eating facilities. This business hotel is located on the more newly-developed side of Interstate 5, placed in and among several corporate campuses (giving it the feel of Silicon Valley). Although it's less than the length of a football field from the freeway, noise is not a big issue.

If you are noise sensitive, it's best to request a room on the west side or a pool/interior room. During my stay the only noticeable sounds were of someone closing a couple of drawers before taking a shower.

The hotel is extremely clean and well maintained; even the hallway carpeting looks as it was installed just yesterday. Staff members were noticeably busy making touch-up repairs during the day.

In the room, there's a Magic Chef refrigerator that is extremely efficient, a Sanyo microwave, a sharp Philips flat screen TV with HBO and the all-important Golf Channel; and a large bed with adjustable firmness levels. There's also a work desk with an ergonomic chair by Herman Miller, and a surprisingly comfortable upholstered chair with a nice Ottoman.

The interior colors and artwork all make up for a relaxing stay. My stay was quite productive. Yes, the rooms in newer HGIs may be a touch smaller than in some of the older locations, but I didn't find this to be a major negative.

On a scale of 1 to 10 pillows, I award the HGI Sacramento/South Natomas hotel a rating of 9 pillows.

No comments:

Post a Comment