Thursday, April 16, 2009

Wrong About Starbucks?


In a Motley Fool article posted on MSNBC on Monday, April 13th, Tim Beyers reconsidered some things he'd said in a pre-Christmas article. At that time he wrote that Starbucks had lost its appeal as a destination, "(as) a place for writers like me to sit, sip, get connected (wirelessly), and write." In his more recent article, Beyers took the stance that he was wrong about Starbucks as revealed in the full title of his article: I Was Wrong About Starbucks: Wi-Fi is worth paying for, after all.

Interesting, especially as the final words in the article were these:

You want to blame customers for your woes? Look in the mirror first, Starbucks.

Very clever. Good stuff, almost as good as the bold cup of coffee that I can't get in the afternoon at Starbucks. On to Peet's...

Note: Earlier this week I had a change in schedule so I made what is now a rare stop at a Starbucks for a late morning brew. I was the only person standing in line... Nevertheless, the bearista barely listened to my order for a tall (small) bold coffee with room for cream; she was busy talk, talk, talking to a co-worker. Before handing me my coffee, she walked away and grabbed an ink pen for some unknown reason... I was not charging my order.

When she did finally hand me my coffee it was filled to the rim - she clearly did not listen to my order - and with the current supply of bad lids, the coffee spilt all over my hands and my formerly-clean pair of pants. Great, and another reminder of why I almost never pop into a Bucks anymore.

Photo: flickr (chrisdejabet)

2 comments:

  1. Ugh. That was far from legendary Troybear. Was that a licensed store or a company-operated store? Thankfully, believe it or not, downtown Seattle has almost none of those kinds of problems: Baristas tend to be more attentive to customers. I'd complain to customer service!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's very frustrating. I'd call customer service. They need to know what is happening in their stores. One thing for sure, the downtown Seattle baristas are quite good about being attentive. You rarely get such poor service like what you got.

    Troybear, do you twitter? I am Melody206 on twitter.

    http://twitter.com/Melody206

    ReplyDelete